Blessings - Part II

At the end of a trying, tiring week, I'm also reminded what wonderful blessings come from the people around us.  A kind word, an encouraging email, a helpful hand, even a tender smile, can make life easier and lift our spirits.  Most of the time, we don't know the impact we are making on others.  When we act kindly toward people, some will thank us that very moment, other people may express appreciation later on, and others may never say anything at all.  Yet, if we spend time with God and allow God to work through us, we can be sure that He will use us to bless the people around us.


We really don't know what is happening in people's lives.  Even those who are closest to us may not know what we are going through inside unless we share it with them.  The person waiting in line behind us for the cash register may have just suffered a divorce, or foreclosure, loss of a job, or the death of a loved one.  The server who waits on us twice a week at our favorite restaurant may be struggling with debt, or an addiction, with a disability, or an abusive spouse.  The student or co-worker that we pass in the hall every day may quietly be fighting a terminal illness or contemplating suicide.  


Every interaction we have with every person is an opportunity to bestow grace and compassion or to dole out meanness.  With a look, we can bless or curse the people we come into contact with.  By our actions and reactions, we can make someone's day easier or more difficult.  By simply acknowledging and affirming others, we can make them feel worthwhile or devalue them.


We may not sense the power we have over others when we are feeling strong, healthy, wealthy, or happy because that's when we are typically most resilient: when life is going well for us.  It's when we are at our low points in life that we are most likely to wince at an unfriendly look, or be injured by a malicious comment, or be upset by an impatient person, or be made to feel alone when no one seems to notice our existence as we stroll by.


Oh, how many times have I neglected others because of my preoccupation with self?  There are so many opportunities to do good that I have missed, so many hurtful things that I have done, so many regrettable moments when I could have been a blessing to someone around me, but chose otherwise.  And yet, we Christians are called to follow in the footsteps of our Lord.  We can see throughout the Gospels that He never missed an opportunity to bless those He came into contact with.  Our Lord didn't ignore them, or mistreat them, or devalue them.  He simply loved them, and He made the most of every opportunity.


So, when I think about the many mistakes I've made and opportunities to do good that I've missed, I remind myself that tomorrow, I will have many more opportunities to do good or do evil to others.   


Lord, I know I'm unlikely to get through 24 hours without missing the mark, but if I keep trying to walk in Your footsteps, perhaps I can be more of a blessing to the people around me.  Perhaps, I'll be more likely to show patience and humility, to say a kind word, to demonstrate gratitude, or to find an opportunity to help.  Help me remember that I'm supposed to be Your hands and feet, ministering to the people I meet each day.  Amen.


Christ has no body but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours.
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
compassion out on this world.
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good.
Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.
Yours are the hands. Yours are the feet.
Yours are the eyes. You are his body.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours. 
Teresa of Avila

Comments

Popular Posts