Mass Collaboration and Christianity

Welcome to my new blog. Here, I will be discussing Christianity, technology, and literature.

I am currently reading Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything by Don Tapscott and Anthony Williams. I'll let you know what I think about the book once I have finished reading it, but it already has me thinking...

Since I am writing this blog, have a Face Book page, Twitter, watch YouTube, regularly visit Wikipedia for information, write book reviews, rate news articles, and do everything with Ubuntu (Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackelope, if you're wondering), I am participating in the mass collaboration described in Wikinomics.

Wikinomics further influences me because many of my choices are guided by mass collaboration; I choose what to read, what to purchase, what to study, what to eat, what to listen to, where to go on vacation, which doctor to visit, where to shop, etc. based largely on the recommendations of others. How did others rate a particular product? What do others think of this book? What other books have people read who have read the book that I am interested in? What do other Ubuntu users use? What do other people think of a vacation in Chicago? Where did others stay? What are others listening to who like my kind of music? What did other people think of a particular physician? The list goes on and on...

The information is there...tons of it. Why wouldn't I use it? We are all relying on mass collaboration to make everyday decisions.

So, here are a few questions I am pondering:
How should the Church respond to this phenomenon? Or, is it responding already through folks like me (i.e.-by posting a blog asking the question)? How will mass collaboration impact Christianity? How has Christianity been impacted already? Does Christianity have any impact on mass collaboration? What are the theological implications? What would C.S. Lewis have to say about this phenomenon? What would other Christian leaders and thinkers say? What would Paul, or Peter, or Jesus say?

What do you think?

Comments

  1. Hey Dan, I loved the blog. I will bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this kind of networking has already impacted the church. Churches that embrace technology as a means of reaching the lost are thriving. Churches that reject technology and new communication methods will likely perish. We should use every means at our disposal to preach the Gospel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts